To the Community and Visitors of Pescadero & Todos Santos:
As many of you have seen, Topia is arriving at the finishing stages of construction. We have been very involved in this project, and it’s truly a dream come true to be creating this space here in Pescadero. While we’ve had a chance to meet many of our neighbors, there are so many people we’d still like to meet. We are Chelle & Kris Swierz, it’s a pleasure to meet you all.
Topia is due to open in November, we will be working directly with group leaders who will bring in their guests for yoga and wellness retreats. Being a positive contributor to the Pescadero and Baja Sur community is a priority at Topia. We are in the crucial state of Topia’s beginning, where the dream becomes a reality. We would like to take this moment to introduce Topia's ethos and open the conversation harmoniously with our community.
From the beginning, we will engrain the importance of conservation and mindful living practices with our group leaders. Our aim is to attract the right people who will respect and honor the law of the local land. We are thorough with how we bring leaders and guests into our facility, and oversee their interaction with the environment. Social responsibility is layered on thick like sunscreen around here, below are some ways we lead by example.
- Our facilities are simple, each space unique and intentional. We have 6 suites, and we live on the property. Our furniture is made locally from reclaimed lumber. We have plans to get creative with trash bricks with the beach trash we pick up on daily walks.
- Our food waste will be separated, everything will be worked back into the land. We want our guests to contribute as a part of their experience. We have low flow sinks and toilets. And a waste treatment system, not septic, that filters sewage into usable grey water for plants. Because water shortage is always an issue, we will encourage guests to conserve with signage and smarter options.
- Topia donates to the Punto Verde recycling program in Todos Santos, and will be active members of the Ecorrevulcion team. We are all about recycling, and will integrate the cleaning and sorting process of recycled goods into our retreat curriculum.
- Topia is a plastic free zone, we are committed to keeping plastic off our property and out of landfills. Locally sourced container-free bathroom products are provided. Guests are asked to bring reusable water bottles, and we also provide guests with reusable water bottles for the filtered water throughout the property. We will not offer or sell bottled water or beverages on our property. We are very aware of the impact unintentional waste management can have and intend to make disposal a part of the Topia experience in order to educate our guests.
- A drinking filtration system is a part of our design with the intentions of curbing the use of plastic water bottles.
- Topia is proud to be a tax-paying Mexican corporation. In addition, we pay for health care, and all else as required by Mexican law. We pay fair wages and currently work with a well-respected team. In preparation for our opening, Topia is currently hiring local holistic workers and tour operators. We intend to establish life-long partnerships within the local community and want our employees to create a legacy for themselves and for their families.
- We cook for our guests, or have food catered, therefore avoiding the Costco kitchen stocking many single family homes provide. When guests aren’t eating in Topia’s kitchen, they are encouraged to tour the area and eat at various restaurants to spread the wealth in the community. We shop locally, down to the mattresses, lighting and decor. We recommend group transportation to discourage unnecessary cars on our roads. To lighten the load, we have limited in-house laundry standards.
- Members of the Topia team donate time and money toward turtle preservation by helping save nests and maintaining a light curfew (dimmed night lighting) so as to not scare away wildlife. We also have a noise curfew to respect the Baja midnight tradition as well as our neighbors.
- Topia proudly supports the Pescadero Food Bank as well as local Bomberos and Paramedic emergency service.
This is the beginning of our Topia family, and we want to grow in the most respectful way possible. We live on-site and will be present at Topia. If at any time you would like to come say hello and see the place, please don’t be shy!
Feel free to send feedback, or ways we can improve our presence in the community via email: email@example.com and learn more about Topia at TopiaRetreat.com or on Instagram @topiaretreat
Thank you for your time.