Red Chilaquiles is a delicious Mexican breakfast dish and a favorite among retreat guests as well as the team here at Topia. Made with fresh, crispy fried tortilla chips, a savory tomato and chili-based sauce, plus an assortment of delicious toppings.
While traditionally topped with fried or scrambled eggs, or chicken, at Topia we offer our guests vegan alternatives which is equally scrumptious. Tofu is a delicious vegan protein for chilaquiles!
Whether you are looking for a traditional breakfast dish or a hearty brunch option, these Red Chilaquiles will impress your taste buds with their bold and spicy flavors. So let's get started and learn how to make this delicious dish step by step, taking a part of Topia home with you.
Red Chilaquiles for 4 People
2 dozen corn tortillas
2 cups vegetable oil
6 ripe medium tomatoes
3 serrano chiles
4 garlic cloves
1/2 medium white onion
6 chili guajillos
1 ancho chili
1 morita chile
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 spoon salt
1/2 ripe avocado
1/2 small purple onion
2 tbspsour cream
80 grams mozzarella cheese
Protein of your choice (eggs, chicken, or tofu)
Fresh Tortilla Chips:
- Cut the tortillas into squares.
- Heat the oil in a pan to 190•C
- Fry the tortillas until they are golden in color and set aside.
Savory Red Sauce:
- In a pot add the tomatoes, tomatillos, onion and cloves of garlic with 2 cups of water to cook.
- Devein and seed the dried chiles and add to the pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Once the chilies are cooked and hydrated, drain and blend so that the sauce is thick.
- Return to a pot and cook over low heat, then add salt and pepper.
- Use a deep plate, put the tortilla chips, add mozzarella cheese, and bathe with 4 large tablespoons of sauce.
- Add your choice of protein on one side, avocado and finely sliced purple onion for color and flavor,
- We finish with lines of sour cream for taste and aesthetic.
For more delicious healthy vegan recipes, visit our blog.