By popular demand, here is one of our most beloved regional culinary treasures: the delicious and flavorful Salsa Macha recipe by Topia's head chef. This is the oily, nutty, spicy goodness Topia guests cannot get enough of. On avocado toast, eggs, tacos, meat dishes, veggies–– basically anything savory––our salsa macha will make any food fantastic, with its smoky and nutty flavors.
With a combination of four different types of chilies, garlic, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds, this recipe is a perfect balance of heat and nuttiness. Follow these simple steps to create this one-of-a-kind salsa that may very well mentally transport you back to our open-air dining table, laughing with your retreat-mates after a stunning sunset beach walk.
- 100g Pasilla Chile
- 100g Ancho Chile
- 100g Guajillo Chile
- 100g Cascabel Chile
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 5 cups of olive or avocado oil
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup of sesame seeds
- Begin by opening the chili peppers in half and removing the seeds and veins.
- Heat the oil to 175°F and sauté the garlic cloves until they turn light brown. Be careful not to burn them, then set aside.
- Add the chili peppers in batches to the sauté pan, submerging each for 3-5 seconds to cook, and set aside. Keep oil for cooking and allow it to cool.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds separately in the oven at 395°F for about 10 minutes or until evenly toasted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the oil used to fry the chilies is at room temperature, blend together with the garlic and chiles until the mixture is smooth and evenly blended.
- Add the toasted pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds, seasoned with salt to taste, and blend once again.
- Let the Salsa Macha rest for a day or more to enhance its flavor.
This Salsa Macha recipe is a perfect condiment to any dish and can add a unique flavor to simple dishes. Its ingredients can be easily found in most grocery stores, and it is straightforward to make. With the guidance of Topia's head chef, you can bring this taste of Topia home with you.
Book your next retreat with us! Space is filling for next year so book now.