A traditional Mexican dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth and give you a taste of Topia at home. Our flan recipe is a favorite among our guests, with a creamy blend of custard and caramel, and a hint of vanilla. It's a flan-favorite. :)
- 6 eggs
- 1 can (375 g) condensed milk
- 1 can (360 g) evaporated milk
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 package (190 g) cream cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the caramel:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and prepare a round baking pan for the flan.
- In a blender, combine the eggs, condensed milk, evaporated milk, sour cream, cream cheese, and vanilla extract. Blend until the mixture is smooth and well combined. Set aside.
- To make the caramel, heat the granulated sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir the sugar continuously until it melts and turns into a light brown caramel. Be careful not to let it burn.
- Once the caramel has reached a light brown color, remove it from the heat and pour it into the prepared baking pan. Tilt the pan to evenly coat the bottom with caramel. Allow the caramel to cool and harden.
- Once the caramel has firmed, pour the flan mixture from the blender into the baking pan, on top of the caramel.
- Place the baking pan inside a larger baking dish or roasting pan. Fill the larger pan with enough hot water to reach about halfway up the sides of the flan pan. This is called a bain-marie.
- Carefully transfer the bain-marie into the preheated oven. Bake the flan for approximately 2 hours.
- Once the flan is fully baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
- To serve the flan, carefully run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen it. Place a serving plate or platter on top of the pan, then quickly flip it over. The flan should release onto the plate, revealing the caramel on top.
- Slice the flan into individual servings and enjoy!