There's something truly magical about creating your own pizza from scratch – from mastering the dough to layering on the freshest toppings.
So, put on your apron, roll up your sleeves, and get ready to experience the satisfaction of crafting your very own homemade pizza, inspired by Topia's favorite cabana boy and pizza master himself.
Recipe shared courtesy of Delancy in Seattle, WA
Yield: 8 small, delicious pizzas
- 4 cups cold water (933 grams)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (optional)
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 9 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (1363 grams)
- 2 ¾ tablespoons kosher salt (38 grams)
- In a large bowl, combine the water with the olive oil (if using) and stir until the yeast has dissolved. Set it aside, allowing the yeast to proof.
- In a separate bowl, mix the salt with the flour.
- Then, gradually add the flour mixture to the water while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Once all the flour is incorporated, don't worry if the mixture looks a bit uneven; we're embracing pizza dough's unique character here.
- Use your hands if needed to ensure all dry bits of flour are incoporated. No kneading required; this will keep the gluten at bay.
Dough Rising to Perfection:
- Love and patience (16 - 20 hours!)
- Once mixed, place your mixed dough in a large tupperware.
- Let it rise at room temperature.
- Once ready, it should smell yeasty and a bit sour and grow to 2 ½ times its original size. This will take around 16 - 20 hours.
- At this stage, place your dough in the fridge to chill.
Once the dough has chilled:
- Cut the dough into 270 grams
- Shape each portion into boules – little balls of pizza dreams, ready to be transformed into culinary masterpieces!
Resting and Prepping:
- Place the boules a few inches apart on the floured sheet pan.
- Cover tightly and allow them rest for at least an hour. This helps the gluten to relax.
- Remove each dough boule from the fridge 45 minutes before stretching – cold dough can be difficult to stretch.
- 3 fourteen-ounce cans of tomatoes, drained of their liquid
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed (because we're all about love, not vampires)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- A pinch of oregano
- A splash of red wine vinegar (optional if the tomatoes are already bright and tasty)
- Combine all of these enchanting ingredients in a large bowl.
- Blend them together with an immersion blender until smooth – creating the tangy tomato sauce that'll make your taste buds boogy!
Now that your wood-fired pizza adventure is fully outlined, it's time to fully embrace the magic of pizza-making. Explore toppings of your fancy, and watch the wood-fired oven transform these doughy delights into pure bliss.
Enjoy your Topia-inspired wood-fired pizzas, where every bite is a taste of paradise! 🍕🔥